What does your website look like if viewed by a mobile phone?
You should care – the jump in users who are accessing the web with their phones has jumped tremendously in the last few months: by some estimates, mobile visits now account for fully 20 percent of Web traffic.
Never fear, you can check what your site looks like on a smartphone with the Go Mo Meter, a cool, and free, online checker by Google’s Go Mo.
Go Mo will even go a bit farther, by providing a report on what’s working well on your site, and what you can do better.
More reasons to take mobile seriously.
- by 2013, more people will be using their mobile device to surf online, than a PC.
- Since 2010, mobile searches have quadrupled.
Some WordPress developers have taken to designing WordPress themes that will work on mobile phones. The term is called responsive design, and it is a way to make sure your website will look good by “responding” to the platform. If you have a website built with a WordPress blog, then you might want to switch to one of these new themes. If you want a new website, consider creating it with WordPress.
Responsive Premium Themes include these newest themes for Genesis by Studiopress:
- Eleven 40
As for making sure your site is user-friendly for mobile devices, here are some tips:
- Skip the huge graphics. Mobile users want your site to download in 3 seconds. They will ditch your site and go to your competitor’s if you site doesn’t load fast enough. This, by the way, applies to all websites.
- Local search is big. Make sure your site is showing up in the searches for the spontaneous shopper.
- Mobile ready sites drive purchases. Users log-on to do price checks, read reviews, and 50% of mobile shoppers lead to purchases.
- Make it easy for people to buy from you. The less clicks the better. Keep text short, forms minimum, and phone numbers and emails easy to find.
Strange Duck Media runs on the Genesis framework
Genesis empowers you to quickly and easily build incredible websites with WordPress. Whether you're a novice or advanced developer, Genesis provides the secure and search-engine-optimized foundation that takes WordPress to places you never thought it could go. It's that simple - start using Genesis now!